So many people plant beautiful flowering plants only to see them lose their petals and many of their leaves because the plant needs shelter from the wind. Typically, across America, people plant perennials like flax, daylilies, and daisies in the windy parts of their garden. Plus, they plant annuals like zinnias and nasturtiums. In our area, some of the best wind resistant plants are native plants. It’s incredibly important to make sure that your garden plants are also salt resistant though. The wind coming in from the Bay carries salt particles. This is especially important if your home is within about one-eighth of a mile of the Bay.
Salt Resistant Plants That Can Tolerate Wind
Ornamental grasses are a beautiful addition, especially native grasses. Here are examples of some salt-resistant, wind-resistant ornamental grasses that are native to Southern Florida:
- Muhly Grass
- Panic Grass
- Fakahatchee Grass
- Florida Gama Grass
Shrubs can be a beautiful addition to your Tampa Bay area landscaping too. Some plants that do well in salty areas of Florida by the Bay include the following:
- Sweet Acacia
- Sea Myrtle
Other plants that offer salt resistance and wind resistance include the following:
- Salt resistant vine – bougainvillea
- Groundcover that is salt resistant – sea oats
- Salt resistant shrub – wax myrtle.
Of course, with very strong storms, any of these plants could see damage. The native plants tend to do much better in tropical storms and hurricanes though.
THINKING OF SELLING YOUR TAMPA BAY AREA HOME?
If you’re interested in selling a Tampa Bay area home, please contact us for more information about listing your home. Check out our helpful article describing the process and how to decide if it’s the right time to sell.
ARE YOU BUYING A HOME FOR SALE IN TAMPA BAY?
If you’re thinking about buying a home in Tampa Bay, do a quick online search or check out our:
- Tampa Bay homes for sale under $100,000
- Tampa Bay homes for sale between $100,000 and $200,000
- Tampa Bay homes for sale between $200,000 and $300,000
- Tampa Bay homes for sale between $300,000 and $400,000
- Tampa Bay homes for sale between $400,000 and $500,000
- Tampa Bay homes for sale between $500,000 and $600,000
- Tampa Bay homes for sale between $600,000 and $700,000
- Tampa Bay homes for sale between $700,000 and $800,000
- Tampa Bay homes for sale between $800,000 and $900,000
Our experienced agents know the area and would love to find you the perfect home in the Tampa Bay or any of the surrounding areas. When you’re ready, call us at 813-961-6000, or contact us online. We handle real estate in Hillsborough County (the Tampa – St. Petersburg – Clearwater metropolitan area), real estate in Pasco County (Port Richey, New Port Richey, Dade City, Zephyrhills and San Antonio), and real estate in Pinellas County (Tampa – St. Petersburg metropolitan area.) We’ll help you find the right home for your needs!